Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blog Post between Legends Spotlights...
With the Legends spotlights running the week before an issue comes out and then the 2-3 weeks after, this will be my last personally written post before heading to San Diego (comic con info below). So I hope I tackle everything...and check back next week when the Legends interviews start back up again with Legends #3 creators: Katie Cook, Jason Shawn Alexander, Nate Pride, & Guy Davis.

Black Axe # 1 in previews:
With Black Axe being offered up in previews (order code: JUL10 0766) and due in September, I thought this would be a good time to share the cover image with everyone. Here is the solicitation text:
Mouse Guard returns for its third volume: the Black Axe. This prequel set in
1115, fulfils the promise the wise oldfur Celanawe made to tell Lieam of the
day his paw first touched the Black Axe. The arrival of distant kin takes
Celanawe on an adventure that will carry him across the sea to uncharted
waters and lands all while unraveling the legend of Farrer, the blacksmith
who forged the mythic axe.


July Ink & Stein:
At the last Ink & Stein, I was confused and mentioned that the July event would overlap with San Diego...well as I say, I was confused, because it doesn't! Ink & Stein a a group of artists who gather to draw the 3rd Sat. of every month at the Eagle Crest Marriott Lounge in Ypsilanti, MI from 7pm-11pm. If you live in the area and want to come to this or any month's gathering, please do!

Scouting:
A few months ago I was contacted by a scout troop because a fan of mine was receiving his Eagle rank in the Boy Scouts. Scouting and Mouse Guard are closely connected in my mind. I was a Boy Scout from age 11-18 and earned the rank of Life Scout. It was in scouting that I met who would later become my best man, the inspiration for Kenzie, and a friend for life. He and I formed the relationship on scouting events, that would become how I write the dynamics of Kenzie and Saxon. And on a larger scale, many of my scouting experiences: making shelters, hiking, winter camping, cannoning, leadership, and a system of peer-rank advancement, shaped how the Mouse Guard itself functions.

SDCC info:
Here are the basics: I'll be in Artists Alley at GG09 for most of the show (with my new Celanawe banner!) There I will be signing books, posters, sketchbooks.

I'll have several signing times at the Archaia booth as well (TBA*). On Sunday the 25th, at 2:30 pm in room 3, There will be an Archaia All-Ages panel featuring Legends of the Guard, Black Axe, and several other Archaia titles like Return of the Dapper Men and Fraggle Rock. Joining me for the Mouse Guard related discussion will be Jeremy Bastian, Katie Cook, and Karl Kerschl.
*Check my twitter status for updates on signing times

Fan Art:
This piece was sent by Sebastien Cormier. Thanks Sebastian!

Upcoming Appearances:
San Diego (Artist Alley): July 22-25
Baltimore Comic Con: August 28-29
New York Comic Con (Archaia booth): Oct 8-10
Mid-Ohio Con: Nov. 6-7

5 comments:

Bo said...

Wow David, very cool update. As an Eagle Scout I love the BSA Mouse Guard artwork. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You aren't going to be at the Friday "All-Access" Archaia panel at Ccon, are you?

-wondering in SD

Anonymous said...

BTW, nice banner! Put me down for one of each.

-wondering again

DPetersen said...

Bo: You are welcome..it wasn't until recently I started noticing the paralells between Mouse Guard and BSA

Wondering: At this point, no, I won't be at the panel, but that may change...

Neil said...

I also like the BSA image. It's the 100th aniversary of Scouting this year, btw.

Blog Archive